[Phplogcon-dev] phplogcon without user managment

Brian Shea bgshea at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:14:56 CET 2005

Okay, that sounds good, I think we should discuss the syntax:

double quote designates the search pattern

Message Contains:  "apple AND banana"

in this search the AND is not a literal and, but a search modifier. Search
results will return events with both word: apple, banana

Message Contains:  "apple 'AND' banana"

in this search the AND is a literal and, which will be included in the
search. Search results will return messages that contain the entire "apple
and banana"

Same goes for OR for the above.

Now the slightly more complicated part

Message Contains: "red apples AND yellow bananas"

The search should be preformed as such "red AND apples AND yellow AND
bananas" Results will display all event with those words

Or could be preformed as such:

Message Contains: "red apples AND yellow bananas "

The search will be preformed as such " 'red apples' AND 'yellow bananas' "
Results will contain all events with 'red apples' AND 'yellow bananas'. But
not events like 'red delicious apples' or 'yellow delicious bananas'

PLEASE comment on the above.
-----

If we try to tackle the first two on the list AND/OR, we can build on it
from there, but changing the syntax from release to release might confuse
users, so we should figure out how the language is interpreted. Maybe a few
google searches to see how google interprets things might be a good place to
start.

I might be able to hack out a simple searcher tonight, nothing that could be
used in phpLogCon, but enought to show how to start processing the search
terms.

Brian