[Phplogcon-dev] phplogcon without user managment

Michael Meckelein mmeckelein at hq.adiscon.com
Tue Dec 13 16:47:04 CET 2005

Google Help Center -> Advanced Search Made Easy
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

Google does not care about "AND" operator. Google include all search
terms by default. We should adapt this approach.

This means

> Okay, that sounds good, I think we should discuss the syntax:
>
> double quote designates the search pattern
>
> Message Contains:  "apple AND banana"

Should be equal with "apple banana", shouldn't be?

(just a site note, because it is interesting but has nothing to do with
phplogcon:
http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+AND+banana
and
http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+banana
have different result pages.)

> in this search the AND is not a literal and, but a search modifier.
> results will return events with both word: apple, banana
>
> Message Contains:  "apple 'AND' banana"

We should use double quotes (") instead of single quote (') like google.
http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+%22and%22+banana

> in this search the AND is a literal and, which will be included in the
> search. Search results will return messages that contain the entire
"apple
> and banana"
>
> Same goes for OR for the above.

Ok.

> Now the slightly more complicated part
>
> Message Contains: "red apples AND yellow bananas"
>
> The search should be preformed as such "red AND apples AND yellow AND
> bananas" Results will display all event with those words

I would go on with this approach, because it is like Google.

> Or could be preformed as such:
>
> Message Contains: "red apples AND yellow bananas "
>
> The search will be preformed as such " 'red apples' AND 'yellow
bananas' "
> Results will contain all events with 'red apples' AND 'yellow
bananas'.
> But
> not events like 'red delicious apples' or 'yellow delicious bananas'

If you want perform such a search you have to enclose with quotes.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22red+apples%22+AND+%22yellow+bananas%22

Michael