[rsyslog] Separating logs by host?

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] r.bhatia at ipax.at
Fri Dec 21 09:03:04 CET 2007

Scott Baker wrote:
> Rainer Gerhards wrote:
>> I need to think about the real question a bit ;) Not an immediate
>> solution ... but not hopeless either ;)
>>
>> On v2/v3 - v2 will be the next stable release:
>> http://rgerhards.blogspot.com/2007/12/begun-working-on-rsyslog-v3.html
>
> Another good example is that we have several linux mail servers. I
> like to aggregate all of their logging to one rsyslog server. They
> all log to mail.* on their local machines, and then forward also to
> my rsyslog server.
>
> The problem is that shows up in my mail.* on the syslog server, and
> thus gets mixed in with the local mail.* from the syslog server
> itself. It would be nice to be able to separate those, by IP would
> be the easiest.
>
> mail.*				/var/log/maillog
> 1.2.3.4/32:mail.*		/var/log/mail-server.log
>
> Or something like that...

might logging to an (my|pg)sql server solve all your issues?

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office at ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15