[rsyslog] wiki with various application logging examples

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 15:02:04 CET 2008

2008/3/9, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode at tanso.net>:
>  IMHO rsyslogd might be trying to do too much internally. When will it start
>  reading mail ? That might not sound too far fetched.. :-)
>
>         "Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs
>         which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can." -- jwz

To some extent, I share your concerns.
I very much believe in the Unix philosophy of small tools, which do
one job, and do that right and can be chained/combined easily.

rsyslog should keeps it's focus and stay what it's primary focus is, a
syslog daemon.
Taking your email example:
Having the functionality to send out email notifications on certain
events is certainly useful. But we should not build the email sending
functionality into rsyslog itself, but simply hand out (pipe) the data
to external tools (mail/sendmail).

The point is, what we can expect to be available on a given system or
not ("logtail" probably isn't, "mail" very likely is). Also, as it's
implemented as a loadable module, it doesn't clutter the main rsyslog
code and so keeps the code base maintainable.

But again ,I think your concern is valid and we should evaluate
carefully what to implement directly into rsyslog and where it makes
more sense to utilise external tools.

Cheers,
Michael

--