[rsyslog] rsyslog version numbering

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:10:07 CEST 2008

2008/3/31, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> Question ;)
>

>  > If you are working towards a next major release, you would start with
>  > 3.80 -> 3.90 -> 4.0
>

> That also means once we have reached 3.80, we can/will no longer apply
>  the new features to the 3.x stable tree, but rather only the 4.x stable
>  tree? I am asking because I just realized we would otherwise be back to
>  the up and down bouncing version numbers - this happens to be exactly
>  the scheme I used so far...

I don't see the problem here.
Say you have a current 3.2.1 stable release.
Then you start working for the next major release 4.
After 4.0 has been released, you want to add a new feature to the old
stable branch, so you release 3.3.0.
That's something completely different than renaming 3.12.x to 3.1 when
it becomes stable.

Michaell

--
universe are pointed away from Earth?