[rsyslog] rsyslog version numbering

Rainer Gerhards rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com
Mon Mar 31 13:59:23 CEST 2008

> > >  So actually the 3.14.0 release happens possibly much later than
> > 3.14.80?
> >
> > This only happens, if you have two unstable branches at the same
> time.
> > Do you expect that to happen that often?
>
> I'd say that's the usual case given the current pace of development. I
> could even envision three unstables at one time...

This was maybe a bit brief. Let me add the reasoning, it may not be
obvious...

What makes a stable a stable? Bug fixes? Well, kind of. But actually it
is *TIME*. It takes some time to find the "initial bug set". So the most
bug reports come in in the 2 to 3 weeks after release. Depending on the
feature complexity, it may take even longer (just think about the queue
engine and its worker-thread system). So in essence, to get to a stable,
I need to have the version just sit around and wait for bugs and their
fixes.

This will start whenever I have implemented a feature initially. So to
continue, I'll immediately fork and work on the next feature set - else
I would be idling for at least a couple of weeks. And, depending on how
things go, I may even finish that one feature (minor release) and go to
the next one before even the version before it matures (especially if my
confidence in that code for some reason is reduced or the code is quite
complex). During that course, it may happen that a minor feature will
never become stable, but only the next one will (if that's quicker
stabilized than the previous one).