[rsyslog] rsyslog version numbering

Rainer Gerhards rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com
Mon Mar 31 15:36:31 CEST 2008

This has some subtleties for me, too (well, maybe its not really
subtleties but simply frightening me ;)). Let me try to get this back to
a simple path. How about a simple

major.minor.patchlevel-dev<devlevel>

So basically the "Sunday scheme" without -mf/-rc but instead just -dev.
I guess the scheme was good for all, but the -mf/-rc was deemed
confusing. In the sample, it would look like:

3.13.5 stable
3.14.0-dev6 (relp)
3.15.0-dev3 (relp/tcp)

Now let's assume I add a bugfix for the core engine. Would that bring us

3.13.6 stable
3.14.0-dev7 (relp)
3.15.0-dev4 (relp/tcp)

Once relp is stable, we have

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.15.0-dev4 (relp/tcp)

TLS begun:
3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.15.0-dev4 (relp/tcp)
3.16.0-dev0 (tls)

Now tcp becomes stable:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 deprecated
3.15.0 stable (relp/tcp)
3.16.0-dev0 (tls)

Bottom line: versions with -dev<number> are unstable, all others are
stable.

Does this sound acceptable?