[rsyslog] rsyslog version numbering

Johnny Tan linuxweb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:21:19 CEST 2008

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Ah, so you compare the strings... makes sense. But also makes clear we
> have a problem with any such scheme...
>
> ... that means it applies to Johnn's suggestion, too :(

No, I made a mistake of keeping the numbering when my main
point was more about, if you are going to use appendages, to
stick with the well-known ones (pre, alpha, beta, rc,
stable, patch).

It should work with *any* numbering scheme (yours,
Michael's, the even/odd, etc.).

The value-added benefit is it gives people an instant
knowledge of where the branch stands.

My company doesn't mind using rc's in production if we
absolutely need the features it provides. But using an alpha
would be much harder to justify.

Granted, in the end, these are somewhat all arbitrary (even
declaring something stable). But I think, like you said,
most devs (or the communities that surround a project) have
a general sense that the passage of time and what actually
gets added (bug-fix-only, etc.) to a branch help determine
these labels. That's generally good enough for most people
who end up using the software.

johnn