[rsyslog] Need help with RPM(yum) version on CentOS

Ori Bani oribani at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 02:53:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm sorry if this isn't quite the right place to ask, since maybe no
one here created the RPM that's in the CentOS base repository.  But I
am guessing people here have installed RPMs like this before and can
help anyway....

When I ask yum on CentOS 5 about rsyslog, I get this (note older
version - too bad):

Available Packages
Name   : rsyslog
Arch   : i386
Version: 2.0.6
Release: 1.el5
Size   : 198 k
Repo   : base
Rsyslog is an enhanced multi-threaded syslogd supporting, among others, MySQL,
syslog/tcp, RFC 3195, permitted sender lists, filtering on any message part,
and fine grain output format control. It is quite compatible to stock sysklogd
and can be used as a drop-in replacement. Its advanced features make it
suitable for enterprise-class, encryption protected syslog relay chains while
at the same time being very easy to setup for the novice user.

My questions are a little bit newbie...  before I try installing this,
I want to know what it's going to do to my system:

1) Will it disable syslogd and/or klogd?  Or will it add itself using
the "alternatives" paradigm so I can switch between them that way?  If
neither, does it include startup scripts at all?  If they are there
but not used by default, is there a recommended way to make the switch
and not really screw things up?

2) Will it add itself to my cron jobs?  Specifically, I don't mind
(for now) leaving the log rotation alone (don't let rsyslog manage my
rotations).  If it adds itself to my cron jobs, does that mean it will
remove the logrotate cron job?

2.5) If I keep using the old logrotate with rsyslog, will that create
any conflicts?

Generally my aim is not to commit 100% to rsyslog yet, so I don't want
to get to a situation where it's a lot of work to get back to the
default syslog setup.