[rsyslog] What happens when the remote server is unavailable?

konton konton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 20:39:13 CEST 2009

I have 2 systems that I want to put rsyslog on and I'm investigating
my options.  One system will be the rsyslog master and will log
everything to a database.  The other will will forward all its logs to
the master syslog through an SSH tunnel.

1.  What happens if I have a rule with an action
@tunnel_ip:tunnel_port, but I haven't created the tunnel yet?  Will
rsyslog keep trying to connect to the remote server indefinitely?

2.  Will rsyslog queue messages intended for the broken connection
until the connection is available, and then send them all once the
connection comes up?

Thanks,
Jason