[rsyslog] Reliability questions about rsyslog and capabilities.

Sivan Greenberg sivan at omniqueue.com
Wed Sep 15 18:18:33 CEST 2010

Hi List,

 I am wondering if there's a possibility to execute a shell command
based on a msg received in rsyslog. If so, is there an option to
execute the command with the content of the msg or with parts of it
for that matter?

Relating to availability, I'm also keen to know what happens when:

 - It tries to start when there's no network interface available to bind to?
 - If the hostname on which rsyslog is reporting from/to changes
between reboots but not necessarily?
 - What happens if text log files consume entire free space on the
machine where rsyslog runs?

Also, I'm interested to know if in subsecond resolution there can
occur a false duplicate msg reduction ? Or if it can occur on any
other grounds? Does RSYSLOG_ForwardFormat solve this?

And last, but not least :) Can I send rsyslog'd debugging or
error/warning logs to somewhere different like /tmp/rsyslog.log for
easy troubleshooting of /var/log becomes inaccessible for any reason.

Many thanks,

-Sivan