[rsyslog] Privilege drop makes stopping it (via Ubuntu upstart) to hang

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:43:44 CET 2013

2013/1/10 Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:

> I think I found the culprit: signaling the parent probably does no longer work when privs are dropped:
>
> http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=blob;f=tools/syslogd.c;h=bd5b52cae06eb28cd80fb0afc503276b10c342f2;hb=HEAD#l2003

yeah, you can't kill a root process as unprivileged user.

> Now I need to think how to handle that...

So you need some kind of communication channgel between the parent and
the child process? You could use a unix domain socket [1] for this.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://books.google.de/books?id=aL3P3eJdiREC&pg=PT48&lpg=PT48&dq=socket+between+parent+and+child+privilege+drop&source=bl&ots=SSoBDlpQBs&sig=2t9hcxBbBqic42Akkj-HMxuToXE&hl=de&sa=X&ei=gAvvUJ7WOMSxtAbn_4BA&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg

--
universe are pointed away from Earth?