[rsyslog] RFC: inconsistent hostname in different sources

Rainer Gerhards rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com
Tue Jan 22 13:13:04 CET 2013

Doesn't change the need to carry these things over in the core. Also, I think most people will actually be puzzled right now by the inconsistency .- or better said: do not know them and wonder why there rules do not match properly.

I have worked around some of the performance implications this morning and got at least some savings, and could do so if we continue to use the inconsistence (even with imtcp), but...

> Or, could rsyslog analyze the hostnames provided when parsing the config,
> and if they're uppercase, throw a warning message and lowercase them?

Good!
In the light of potential user confusion, I guess this is the best idea. Isn't it? Anybody else chime in?

Rainer