[rsyslog] Preserve full FQDNs in logs while sending from rsyslog to syslog-ng

shadyabhi abhijeet.1989 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:40:48 CET 2013

Hi,

I am trying to send logs from rsyslog to syslog-ng server via UDP. If
the hostname for the box is foobar.server.com, I only get foobar in the
logs. For ex, I get

Jan 24 12:31:08 foobar policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1 port: 45594
slots: 0 of 4096 used
but what I expected was:
Jan 24 12:31:08 foobar.server.com policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1
port: 45594 slots: 0 of 4096 used

My rsyslog.conf:

$ModLoad imuxsock
$ModLoad imklog
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat
$IncludeConfig /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf
$PreserveFQDN on
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages
authpriv.* /var/log/secure
mail.* -/var/log/maillog
cron.* /var/log/cron
*.emerg                                                 *
uucp,news.crit /var/log/spooler
local7.* /var/log/boot.log
@syslog.server.com:514

And my syslog-ng.conf looks like: http://sprunge.us/OUOL

Also, I want to point out that sending logs from syslog to syslog-ng
works perfectly.

--
Cheers,
Abhijeet R