[rsyslog] Help: compiled rsyslog 5.8.10 from source, no network logging?

Forrest Aldrich forrie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:26:54 CET 2013

For various reasons, we have a few central syslog servers that are based
on CentOS 6.3, which ships with rsyslog 5.8.x. Our other systems, based
on CentOS 5.x, have an older version 3 available. It was decided that I
would compile the lot and test it out first.

I've been able to compile it just fine, but for some bizarre reason that
I'm unable to figure out, rsyslog will not log over the network, but
only locally.

The compile flags:

Code:
<http://kb.monitorware.com/#>
    |./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-gnutls --disable-testbench
    --enable-imfile --enable-impstats --enable-imptcp --enable-mail
    --enable-omprog --enable-omuxsock --enable-pmlastmsg
    --enable-unlimited-select|

I grabbed these flags from the *.SPEC file of a RHEL SRPM and customized
it. There's a lot we don't need.

I read the manpage, there doesn't appear to be a special flag to set
other than "-c 5" to allow for that. The configuration syntax for this
is correct:

Code:
<http://kb.monitorware.com/#>
    |local2.*              /var/log/mapper/mapper.log
    local2.*                  @@internalhost.ourdomain.com|

The log goes to file no problem, but is not sent to the internalhost --
I tested this otherwise, this works with the stock, supplied RPM on
CentOS 6 (no config changes).

The dev's want to keep the same version around the systems, which I can
appreciate. I installed the RPM for 5.10 which created the need for a
configuration change (I can't remember, but it had to do with using
"*"). So for now, I would like to solve this little problem.

It's possible we will just "roll our own" under /usr/local and keep it
all standard -- I would probably go with the latest/greatest version,
provided it didn't create more configuration issues for what the dev's
are doing.

I'm stumped as to what the issue could be. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!