[rsyslog] Changing IP of central log server, clients are configured to use FQDN instead of IP. Anything special needed to have clients send queued messages to the new IP instead of the old?

deoren rsyslog-users-lists.adiscon.net at whyaskwhy.org
Thu Sep 14 01:12:38 CEST 2017

Currently I have all of the clients setup to use DNS A record to connect
to the central system. That A record has a TTL of 300 seconds.

I plan to down the central server and then move it to a new hosting
environment with a totally different IP. That move will take more than
the 300 seconds TTL configured for the record.

I'm using a disk-assisted queue configuration for the forwarding action
on the clients.

The clients are a mix of Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 systems and all are
using rsyslog version 8.29.0 from the official Ubuntu PPA. All clients
are also forwarding their messages using RELP.

Do I need to do anything with the clients ahead of the move, or will the
client rsyslog installations using the new A record value once the older
one times out in order to send messages held in the queue?

Thanks for your help.