[Phplogcon-dev] release structure

Rainer Gerhards rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com
Wed Dec 7 09:19:35 CET 2005

Hi all,

a non-technical issue... I think we need to put some thinking into what
shall go into which release as soon as we have finished an agreed-upon
todo list (but not sooner ;)).

Anyhow, we should remember that the whole thing started when Brian
detected some security issues. The currently distributed source still
contains them. So I think it is definitely time to do something against
it.

I propose we do the following:

#1 document that limitiations of the current "security model", which
most importantly means telling people very directly that these are
profiles and not actual security-safe accounts. Michael mentioned we had
such a document. If so, we should dig it out and publish it, if not, we
should create at least a small one ;)

#2 fix the most important things without major change (I think about the
% userid/password issue). My goal here would be to fix what can be done
very quickly and have a better version online.

We could then also fork phplogcon into a stable and a development
branch, where stable just receives the most important things (but is
stable ;)) while development would be the (b)leading edge, at which
allmost all further work is conducted.

Feedback is highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rainer