[Phplogcon-dev] Database abstraction layer for phpLogCon

Michael Meckelein mmeckelein at hq.adiscon.com
Wed Dec 7 12:39:00 CET 2005

> Of course, the question is what implications Pear has - e.g.
> performance-wise.

Of course, abstraction layer have naturally impact on performance. I did
some research about pear::db performance. I was surprised some say
"PEAR::DB code will run at about 3/8 the speed of the equivalent
DBMS-specific code" [1]. Also found some benchmark indicating that is
true [2][3].

As I already wrote, I have used pear::db in small projects and it works
great. The impact of the abstraction layer was hardly noticeable
(subjective), but I have not made any performance testing.

"Is PEAR DB worth using?" [4] found at comp.lang.php. It's a good
decision indicates that it worth to use a db abstraction layer. I
support this approach since I know about the trouble, testing and time
effort for developing your own db wrapper.

Michael

[1] Impaired performance of pear::db
http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/read.php/9_6_4
[2] simple benchmark (08/13/02) comparing some db abstraction layer
http://freshmeat.net/screenshots/30313/
[3] Comparing ADODB with PEAR DB, MDB, dbx, Metabase and Native MySQL
http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/
[4] Is PEAR DB worth using?"
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.php/browse_frm/thread/1d1dca65e
2c097af/f3d8197af6c9d4f8?lnk=st&q=pear+db+performance&rnum=2&hl=en