[Phplogcon-dev] Database abstraction layer for phpLogCon

Rainer Gerhards rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com
Wed Dec 7 09:45:22 CET 2005

Brian,

please let me elaborate why I proposed some time ago to use a different
db abstraction layer. Just so that we remember the reasoning.

The db abstraction layer we have done works, but is a bit "rough" and
also limits the abilities to use SQL to its full extent. At least this
is what has been discussed so far. My hopes for a layer like Pear is
that it provides a higher-level abstraction with better functionality.
So my main objective behind that would not be to support additional
databases (although this definitely is a secondary goal) but to have
cleaner and more capable code inside phpLogCon. In the light of this,
I'd propose to not support MSSQL and MySQL natively, because that would
require us to continue to use our own layer, which seems to have some
issues.

Of course, the question is what implications Pear has - e.g.
performance-wise.

I hope this clarifies and initiates another round of good discussions ;)

Rainer