[Phplogcon-dev] phplogcon without user managment

Brian Shea bgshea at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 06:18:40 CET 2005

One question?

If Apache or IIS is used to authenticate users, how do you know which user
got authenticated?

Or does phplogcon not care? Single user web app.

One addition to the previous email, _SESS_SHARE_TBL will not be compatible
with _SERVER_AUTH.  _SERVER_AUTH will negate _SESS_SHARE_TBL, so a seperate
session table will need to be used. No big deal.  In this mode, sessions
will only store settings that the user sets. But I suspect that in future
version of phpLogCon most of the filter and config setting will be stored
into UserPrefs table.

Draw backs, if users migrates from PC to Laptop to Home computer to
whereever, his settings will be different on each computer. Since the server
(IIS or APACHE) does not pass along user info, there is no way for phplogCon
to know which settings to load.

Options, use sessions only to store things that are required to navigate the
pages, preform searchs, and return results. Everything else, predefiined
search terms, layout, language, etc, get stored to UserPrefs. UsersPrefs are
loaded no matter who view the page.